Family Friendly Reykjavik
Families will find plenty of interesting activities in Reykjavik. Whether it’s splashing around in a thermal pool, trying on Viking armour or viewing some of the largest mammals on Earth at close range, there’s fun to be had for all ages in the city.
Visiting families will be relieved to discover that Reykjavík is particularly family friendly, with a safe and clean city, that’s simple to navigate on foot with easy access to nature. Locals business are very accommodating of families with young children; even in the hippest of coffee shops and restaurants you’ll find a high-chairs and play-areas set aside for the kids. Reykjavík has much to offer visitors at affordable prices – sometimes even for free! Below are our top ten recommendations for active families and curious kids to enjoy while visiting Reykjavík.
Top ten family activities in Reykjavik
- Splash & play at one of 18 thermal pools in the Reykjavík Capital Area.
- Makes friends with the resident ducks, geese and swans at Tjörnin Lake.
- Experience Viking times at one of the capital area’s many museums.
- Talk to the animals at the Reykjavík Family Park & Zoo.
- Try delicious Icelandic food – hot dogs, soft ice cream, skyr and liquorice.
- Climb to the very top of majestic Mount Esja.
- Go horse riding through pastoral valleys and rocky lava fields.
- See whales and puffins on a boat trip from the old harbour.
- Watch bubbling hot springs and roaring waterfalls on a day trip from Reykjavík.
- Revel in a Reykjavík winter – be dazzled by the multi-coloured Christmas lights, visit the Hafnarfjörður Christmas Village, skate on Tjörnin Lake or start a snowball fight.
Top family friendly events
Children’s Culture Festival (April), First Day of Summer (April), Festival of the Sea (June), Independence Day (June 17), and Reykjavík Culture Night (August). Night (August).